Three U.S. Catholic archbishops on Monday decried the direction of American foreign policy, saying the countryās āmoral role in confronting evil around the worldā was in question and that military action must only be used as an extreme last resort.
āIn 2026, the United States has entered into the most profound and searing debate about the moral foundation for Americaās actions in the world since the end of the Cold War,ā the three highest ranking U.S. Catholic archbishops said in a rare joint statement.
The statement by Cardinals Blase Cupich of Chicago, Robert McElroy of Washington and Joseph Tobin of Newark, echoes Pope Leoās fiery Vatican speech earlier this month denouncing the worldās āzeal for war.ā
Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
Leo, the first U.S. pope, has previously criticized some of U.S. President Donald Trumpās policies, in particular on immigration.

Citing recent developments in Venezuela, Russiaās war in Ukraine and the threats against Greenland by the Trump administration, the archbishops said rights of nations to self-determination appeared āfragile.ā
āThe events in Venezuela, Ukraine and Greenland have raised basic questions about the use of military force and the meaning of peace,ā the clerics said.
The joint statement did not directly name Trump. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Saying that the U.S. needs a āgenuinely moral foreign policy,ā the archbishops renounced āwar as an instrument for narrow national interestsā and said that āmilitary action must be seen only as a last resort in extreme situations, not a normal instrument of national policy.ā

